Sunday breakfast is my absolute favorite meal of the week. This morning I had to whip up something sweet and savory. I used a diced sweet potato with chicken and apple sausage, topped with an egg mixture to create a fluffy and decadent texture. This resulted in my Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole, a simple and delicious Paleo breakfast dish.
We are so excited that Fall is in full blast and the holidays are among us! This of course means that it is time to start breaking out some of our favorite holiday recipes. It’s such an exciting time of the year.
I can already smell the pumpkin pie. It’s one of my favorites! I can’t get over that pumpkin spice smell (I know, I’m pretty basic).
As the weather gets colder, we start breaking out the recipes that will warm up our bellies. This recipe definitely falls into that category. I love comfort food, but all to often that comes at a high price for me, meaning that I usually would have to indulge in something unhealthy for me, greasy with lots of carbs and dairy.
That’s where the beauty of Down Home Health comes in; I simply create my comfort food using healthy and delicious alternatives. Instead of white potatoes, I use sweet potatoes (alkaline forming and loaded with B vitamins). Instead of butter, I use healthy fats such as coconut oil (loaded with omega 3’s and has antimicrobial properties, which helps remove bad bacteria from your body).
Prepping this recipe is a pretty simple 3-step process:
First, you will peel and grate the sweet potatoes, think of the consistency of hash browns while grating.
Second, dice the onion and sauté on medium- high heat with oil and add your sausage. Make sure that you cook the meat until it is no longer pink, just make sure not to over cook, since you will also be baking.
Third, create your egg mixture and add to all of your ingredients to the greased baking dish. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
See the full recipe below!
We have been incredibly busy this year. Alison welcomed a beautiful baby earlier this year and both Jeff and I have started new and exciting career opportunities. We are thrilled to be back in the kitchen and whipping up some of our old favorites, and as always, we are trying to find new recipes to create or adapt to our lifestyle.
- 2 Small Sweet Potatoes
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Sausage (we used chicken and apple breakfast sausage)
- 1/2 Sweet Onion
- 1 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder (corn starch or tapioca starch as substitute)
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1/4 tsp Sage
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper (for taste)
- Coconut Oil
- Grease 8"x 8" glass baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grate the sweet potatoes and then place in the bottom of the greased dish.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat in a medium to large sized skillet. Dice the onion and the sausage and add to the oil. Season with black pepper and cook until the meat is no longer pink. Add the arrowroot powder (or starch substitute).
- Layer the sausage and onion on top of the sweet potatoes in the baking dish.
- Blend the eggs, sage, coconut milk, and a pinch of black pepper and sea salt. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and sweet potatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until a fork/ toothpick comes out clean.