HAPPY NEW YEAR!
We are always happy to share our family traditions and incorporate them on Down Home Health. Our New Year’s tradition is common in many Southern homes. We always enjoy collard greens and black eyed peas on the first day of the year. Our mama always said “greens for money and beans for luck!”Alison developed this clean Easy Collard Greens recipe. These collards are healthy and tasty! They definitely have the “melt in your mouth” status!
I enjoy making them because they are really easy and make such an awesome side dish for most dinners or even a quick snack.
Healthy Fact: Cooked Collard greens are loaded with Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Calcium!
This dish calls for few ingredients: Fresh collard greens, onions, garlic, coconut oil and chicken stock. (Check out our post on how to make the perfect chicken stock)
We took a blogging break at the end of 2014 to focus on the holidays and the general chaos of life itself. We have been compiling recipes for 2015 an can’t wait to try them out and come up with ways to stay on track with our wellness resolutions! Alison is making steady progress on her pregnancy and is due at the end of March and we can’t wait to meet our new addition!
- 1 large bunch of fresh collard greens
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1 TBSP of coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to tatse
- Wash and remove the stems from your collards and chop roughly
- Slice onion and saute in oil on medium heat until soft and lightly browned (about 10 minutes)
- Add minced garlic to your pan and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes
- Add chicken stock and collards and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes (stirring occasionally)