Roasting your own chicken is easy to do! We typically roast a few chickens on Sundays and incorporate into our recipes throughout the week. If you want an easy way to enjoy a savory chicken, this recipe is for you!
Chicken has always been a family favorite in our household. Our mama used pulled chicken to make her classic chicken pot pie that would rock your world! After I left home for college and found myself anywhere with roasted chicken coming fresh out of the oven I immediately felt at home.
One of my favorite memories as a kid was during the summer, on the front lawn of Stone Mountain Park (with the rest of Atlanta), our family would always take a chicken dinner and spread out on a blanket for the laser show. We would chow down and watch the fireworks as the music played. It was always a highlight of our Summer.
Keeping our family chicken tradition going strong, Alison developed our Easy Roasted Chicken and Vegetables recipe, listed below. You can even pull the meat from the chicken and freeze for an easy meal later during your busy week. Coming Soon! We will show you how to take the remains of this chicken to create a Down Home Healthy chicken stock!
We had the pleasure of making this recipe for a photo shoot with our friend Lance Bryant, who took our feature photo!
Try Alison’s recipe for roasting chicken with vegetables!
This recipe was originally posted on our Facebook page!
Do you have a recipe you’d like to see posted on Down Home Health? Give us a shout! We are always looking for new recipes to try. Contact us here!
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1.5 - 2 lbs of Sweet Potatoes
- 1 lb Brussel Sprouts
- Sea Salt
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 Lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 with rack in middle of oven
- Cut ends and peel any yellowed or brown leaves off the brussel sprouts and slice in half. Toss lightly in olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes (1 - 1.5 inch cubes). Toss lightly in olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Generously salt and pepper the outside of the chicken. Stuff half a lemon in the cavity.
- Use a baking dish / casserole dish with raised sides that is just big enough for the chicken and veggies.
- Put the chicken in the middle breast side up with veggies surrounding
- Stir the veggies every 20 minutes or so to coat with the juices coming off the chicken - it gives some extra flavor to the veggies.
- Bake uncovered until the breast temps 170 - 175 (about 1.5 hrs for a 4 lb chicken).This should give you a juicy chicken with crispy skin.