Question: Is it Breakfast or Dessert? Answer: It can be both! We made this recipe to show you how easy it is to make your own Grain Free Granola base. It’s healthy, it’s delicious and it’s so easy! Want to make a high energy mix for long hike or run? Add your favorite dried fruits (we tell you when to add them in the recipe).
Let’s get crazy…add some dark chocolate, crushed almonds and sprinkle some sea salt, an insanely good dessert that you don’t have to feel too guilty about! The possibilities for you are endless.
We adapted this from the GAPS granola recipe in the Internal Bliss GAPS Cookbook designed for the Gut and Psychology Syndrome Diet. Alison started incorporating aspects of the GAPS diet into her regimen with really great results. I have been gradually working towards a grain free/ Paleo regimen. It’s definitely not easy, but I’m finding that it is doing wonders for my health and my digestion.
A recipe like this Grain Free Granola is perfect because it really is a tasty and substantial treat, and it cuts out the grains and refined sugars found in most granola that increases inflammation in the gut. Even if you’re not trying to cut out grains and refined sugars from your diet, this is still a great recipe that anyone can enjoy!
We used the Grain Free Granola base and created an easy yogurt and berry parfait.
Creating the Parfait:
1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup Blueberries
1/4 cup Raspberries
2 Tablespoons of Honey (optional)
Grain Free Granola (for topping)- The recipe is listed below!
Place the fruit on the bottom of an 8oz cup or jar. Place the yogurt on top of the fruit. Drizzle some honey over the yogurt (optional). Top the yogurt with the grain free granola.
*For a sweeter parfait: consider using vanilla flavored Greek Yogurt.
*For a sweeter berry mix: consider adding mango, bananas, pineapple or a splash of your favorite fruit juice.
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups raw sunflower seeds
- 2 cups dried coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/8 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup other dried fruits (optional)
- Mix everything together except for the coconut and the dried fruits (if using).
- Spread out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes (Set a timer for 5 minute increments and stir with a wooden spoon every 5 minutes).
- Remove from oven. Stir in coconut and other dried fruits (if using). Place back in the oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from oven, drizzle just a little bit of honey on top (about a teaspoon) and let cool.